Graduates from Canada
Under the terms of the Agreement on International Trade (AIT) (chapter on labour mobility), there is a reciprocal agreement between the different colleges of midwives in Canada. Thanks to this agreement, a midwife recognized in one Canadian province can practise in any province that has signed the agreement.
According to the Règlement sur les autorisations légales d’exercer la profession de sage-femme hors du Québec qui donnent ouverture au permis de l’Ordre des sages-femmes du Québec (OSFQ) [regulation respecting legal authorizations to practise midwifery outside of Québec that entitles the holder to obtain a permit from the OSFQ] (CQLR, c. s‑0.1, r. 3), the legal authorization to practise as a midwife issued by the following colleges gives access to the OSFQ permit:
- Alberta Midwifery Health Disciplines Committee;
- College of Midwives of British Columbia;
- Midwifery Regulatory Council of Nova Scotia;
- Northwest Territories Health Professional Licensing (Midwifery);
- College of Midwives of Manitoba;
- College of Midwives of Ontario;
- College of Midwives of New Brunswick;
- Saskatchewan College of Midwives.
If you are a midwife who can take advantage of the reciprocal agreement and you want to obtain a permit issued by the OSFQ in order to practise midwifery in Québec, you must:
- submit a request in writing to the OSFQ Admissions Committee;
- provide all the requested documents required for the evaluation of your file that are listed in the document below (review, print out, complete and attach this list to the file);
- make sure that your file is complete to avoid additional delays;
- include payment for the fee to open a file;
- send your complete file to us at the address below.
Ordre des sages-femmes du Québec
Attention: Admissions Committee
1200, Papineau Avenue, suite 450
Montréal QC H2K 4R5
IMPORTANT: Your level of French
In Québec, the members of professional orders must have an adequate knowledge of French to practise their professions.
The Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) Web site provides all the necessary information regarding this requirement. According to section 35 of the Charter of the French Language, the criteria are the following:
- having received no less than three years of full-time secondary or post-secondary instruction provided in French; or
- having passed the fourth- or fifth-year secondary-level examinations in French as the first language; or
- having obtained a secondary school certificate in Québec during the 1985-1986 school year or later.
If you do not meet these criteria, you must pass the OQLF French exam. This exam is for all individuals seeking a permit to practise from any professional order falling under the Professional Code of Québec.
The OQLF allows the issue of a temporary one-year permit to a midwife who graduated outside Québec and has been found fit to practise in Québec, but does not fulfill the requirements of the Charter regarding proficiency in French, while she waits to successfully pass the French exam.
With the OQLF’s authorization, this temporary permit can be renewed three times, allowing up to four consecutive years of practice. Midwives must take the OQLF exam at least once during the 12 months prior to permit renewal.
French exam registration
Where necessary, all individuals who submit an application for admission to a professional order will receive a registration form for the OQLF French exam.
They must return the duly completed registration form to the order, which will in turn send it to the OQLF.
The OQLF will send the candidates notification to attend an exam session that will be held one to two months after receipt of the registration form.
Also, please note that the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration offers French courses online at this address.