Graduates From Outside Canada (other than France)
Since the Regulation respecting diploma and training equivalence standards for the issue of permits by the Ordre des sages-femmes du Québec (OSFQ) (CQLR, c. s-0.1, r. 13) came into effect in September 2007, midwives trained abroad can request diploma and training equivalence from the OSFQ.
The Admissions Committee is the body of the OSFQ that studies all the equivalence recognition application files. Each file is subject to a comparative assessment based on the degree and training offered in Québec. The Committee also takes into account the candidates’ additional training and work experience. The OSFQ then renders a decision as to the recognition of the candidate’s diploma and training equivalence and, if necessary, to the program required to ensure her professional integration into the context of practice in Québec.
The OSFQ would like to inform you that there is currently a long waiting period between the file assessment and the opportunity to enroll in a bridging program. You should plan on the process taking four years. A cohort just started in september 2017 and the next one is planned for 2019.
Also, please note that you have steps to take with regard to immigration in order to work in Québec. These steps lie outside the OSFQ’s jurisdiction. Consult Immigration-Québec for more information.
Progress of your application and fees
If you want the OSFQ to study your file, you must first follow the procedure below.
- Submit a request for the comparative assessment of your diplomas to the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI).
Please allow time for processing.
Your request must be sent to the following address:
Direction du courrier, de l’encaissement et de l’évaluation comparative
285, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, 4th floor
Montréal, Québec H2Y 1T8
- Review the list of documents required to complete your file (see the document checklist that you must print out, complete and attach to your application file).
- Gather all the documents requested in the checklist.
- Open and save the Application Form for Equivalence in Midwifery. Once it is open, please fill it out directly on your computer.
- Once the form is filled out, save it for your records, then print it out and attach it to your file.
- Check that the documents provided with your file meet the document and translation requirements in effect.
7. Make sure that your file is complete to avoid additional delays
8. Send your complete file to us at the address below and be sure to include your payment for the fee to open a file.
Ordre des sages-femmes du Québec
Attention: Admissions Committee
1200, avenue Papineau, suite 450
Montréal, Québec H2K 4R5
IMPORTANT: Your level of French
In Québec, the members of professional orders must have an adequate knowledge of French to practise their professions.
The Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) Web site provides all the necessary information regarding this requirement. According to section 35 of the Charter of the French Language, the criteria are the following:
- having received no less than three years of full-time secondary or post-secondary instruction provided in French; or
- having passed the fourth- or fifth-year secondary-level examinations in French as the first language; or
- having obtained a secondary school certificate in Québec during the 1985-1986 school year or later.
If you do not meet these criteria, you must pass the OQLF French exam. This exam is for all individuals seeking a permit to practise from any professional order falling under the Professional Code of Québec.
The OQLF allows the issue of a temporary one-year permit to a midwife who graduated outside Québec and has been found fit to practise in Québec, but does not fulfill the requirements of the Charter regarding proficiency in French, while she waits to successfully pass the French exam.
With the OQLF’s authorization, this temporary permit can be renewed three times, allowing up to four consecutive years of practice. Midwives must take the OQLF exam at least once during the 12 months prior to permit renewal.
French exam registration
Where necessary, all individuals who submit an application for admission to a professional order will receive a registration form for the OQLF French exam.
They must return the duly completed registration form to the order, which will in turn send it to the OQLF.
The candidates will then be sent notification to attend an exam session that will be held one to two months after receipt of the registration form. Please find all the informations about this examen here.
Also, please note that the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) offers French courses online at this address.
Please note that when an equivalence application file is sent to us incomplete, it is kept for one year. If no documents are added during this period, the file is closed.